Sunday’s Summer CH@Ts: (full schedule at the bottom) August 2nd: Noon - Implicit or Unconscious Bias Zoom Link: Here Register Here: Click Here
- Implicit Bias in our Lives Powerpoint (13 slides) Download Here
- 18 minutes TED Talk, Verna Myers – How to overcome our biases? Walk boldly toward them! Click Here
- 9 minute video Unconscious Bias in Workplace Diversity (Howard Ross/Cook Ross) Click Here
- Project Implicit – Implicit Assessment Test (free) Click Here
- Try the “test” on page 5 Click Here
- Please introduce yourself with your name and after reading (some of)the material can you identify one way or an example of implicit or unconscious bias that you have?
- Why do I think that all members of one group behave in a stereotypical way?
- Who makes me feel uncomfortable and why is that?
- Would I ask someone to help me uncover or hold me accountable for acting/behaving on my biases? If yes, who would I ask and how would that conversation go?
- Would I provide feedback to someone to hold them accountable for their biases? Why or why not?
- Is there one thing I can try and do differently after today?
Join us Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 12 pm for Sunday Summer CH@Ts: Our topic will be the difference between equity and equality
Register Here: Click Here
Please look at one (or all) of the following as preparation for the class:
link: Click Here (3 min watch)
link: Click Here (quick read – scholarly paper)
link: Click Here (equity in the workforce)
link: Click Here (lesson)
We will use the following discussion questions to guide our discussion:
- Why do we need to know the difference between these two words? Why do you think people confuse these two words so often?
- Can you think of other examples of people being treated with equity that led to them being able to succeed? What policies do you think have worked around equity? What haven’t?
- Can you think of an example of how treating someone with Equality might not actually be fair or may limit their success?
- What does equal education look like? What does equitable education look like? Where do you see each playing out in Philadelphia?
- What other subjects can you see as having different meanings as equal vs. equitable? Voting? Health care?
Can you think of ways our church or community could work to be more equitable? Full Schedule for the Summer: Sundays: 9:30 am and 12:00 pm
8/2 Topic: implicit (unconscious) bias
8/9 Topic: equity vs. equality
8/16 Topic: white privilege and white supremacy
8/23 Topic: defund the police, what does it mean?
8/30 Topic: racism vs. predjudice
9/6 Topic: systemic racism
9/13 Topic: What do we want to be and do as a faith community after these conversations