Choral Music


Many parishioners and visitors describe the music at CHT as a beautiful, accessible and meaningful part of worship. The music at CHT is eclectic, blending together historical and contemporary styles. The service settings encourage congregational singing with the strong support of the CHT choir.




2014-12-24 20.59.09


Our Organist/Choirmaster, Dr. John French, has been creating wonderful music for worship at CHT for nearly 20 years. He is ably assisted by Benjamin Leiby, Assistant Organist and an active member of CHT.


Click here to listen to recordings of music from CHT worship services.



Choral Music2014-12-24 21.39.08

The choir, which includes both professional and amateur vocalists, sings at the 11:00 a.m. service every Sunday throughout the year. Rehearsals are held prior to the Sunday service, from 9:15 to 10:30 a.m.

We are always interested in meeting and interviewing people who wish to become members of our choir. To arrange for an audition, contact the Organist/Choirmaster, Dr. John French.






The original Roosevelt Organ at CHT was installed in 1880. In 1960, the Roosevelt Organ was replaced with a Moller Organ, but some pipes from the original Roosevelt are still part of the organ that is played today. Many years of continual use have created a situation where the organ is now in need of a major renovation. There are numerous dead notes, and whole ranks of pipe are not in use. In addition to addressing these issues, we plan to replace the console, enlarge the chancel organ to better support choral singing, and make other additions to allow for more effective presentation of organ literature from all periods. Efforts are under way to raise funds for this much-needed work through the Organ Restoration Fund. Information about contributing to the fund can be found on our Donations page.



BellsCHT is the proud home of the oldest manually played carillon in North America. This was a gift in 1882 from Mr. Joseph Temple, a Quaker Dry Goods Merchant, in memory of his wife Martha Anna Kirkley Temple. The bells were cast at the celebrated foundry of Severin Van Aerschodt in Louvain, Beligum and arrived in Philadelphia on the 18th of July in 1882. The Carillon was restored in 2001 thanks to a generous gift from a parishioner and was rededicated on April 29, 2001.

The carillon is equipped with a mechanism that plays hymns daily at noon, 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.